Building Department

The Building Department is here to help you with zoning and building codes, permits to improve your home and property.  They are also here to make sure that ordinances and property maintenance codes are enforced.  If you are opening a new business you need to contact the Building and Fire Departments for inspection and certificate of occupancy.

Building Department Hours:
Tuesday 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Wednesday 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Thursday 8:30 a.m. -11:30 a.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

Residential CRA – Cheviot is pleased to offer a special program for property tax abatement on major renovations of residential properties.  It’s called a Residential Community Reinvestment Area. Here’s how it works: Let’s say your home is valued at $100,000 by the County Auditor. You build a new family room. This might increase your home value to perhaps $120,000. With the tax abatement, you’d still pay taxes on $100,000, but wouldn’t pay taxes on the increased value of $20,000 for 10 years!!!.
What qualifies for the Property Tax Abatement?
Examples that do qualify: Build an addition, add new bathroom, add new porch or deck, finish an attic, or install central air (not a replacement). What doesn’t qualify? Replacements such as new roof, new siding, new windows/doors new sidewalk/driveway. Additionally, replacement HVAC, painting house, new aluminum siding, and repairs and general maintenance do not qualify. You’ll find more detailed information in the CRA Application Form.

The list of Licensed Contractors are:

Sterwerf Construction Co. Inc.  513-385-8442  (City of Cheviot is using this company after July 12)

Holmes Blacktop & Concrete 513-451-3100

Gardner Plumbing LLC 513-541-1095

This information is used to become a Licensed Cement Contractor in Cheviot.

  • Fill out application
  • Certificate of Liability Insurance
  • Workers Comp Certificate
  • Performance Bond minimum of $10,000.00
  • License fee is $35.00 annually